Sunday, February 16, 2014

Nachholen [catching up]

It's mid February, and I haven't blogged in two months. Oh well, I can't dwell on what I haven't done; instead let me talk about what I have done and what I will be doing. I have 3.5 months left in Germany, which is insane (one month shorter than Alice and the others Fulbrighters because of my commitment to Teach for America, which starts its training in June). The past two months have had tons of highlights, changes, and opportunities for reflexion. I've assembled a couple lists to best summarize these.

Four fun happenings:


(1) The family came to visit
Rhine time.
My parents never thought they'd make it to Europe once, let alone twice. After visiting me in Potsdam three years ago, my mom, dad, and brother were very excited to come back. I'm not sure if they were more excited to see me or to eat a Döner again. But it was great for me to have some family time right before Christmas. They stayed a satisfactory (by American standards) / insanely short (by German standards) ten days in Germany, in which Alice and I were able to show them both the North of Germany and the Rhine Valley. All that's left for them to see in Germany is the western, industrial Ruhrgebiet and Bavaria, but then again, does Bavaria count as Germany?

(2) Had my first German Christmas. 
Being as happy as kids on Christmas.
I had never spent Christmas time in Germany, so it was wonderful to celebrate all THREE days of Christmas (nicely played, Germans) with Alice's former host family near Mainz. Even though it was more of a green Christmas than a white one, we enjoyed a village Christmas Eve service, endless amounts of breads, cheeses, and potato salad, and, of course, great company.

(3) Toured the country with friends
With "Brenda" in Berlin.
My great friends that I've known since high school, Brent and Amanda, flew over from England to spend a couple weeks with us, and we had a blast. We hit Germany hard and knocked Mainz, Heidelberg, Hamburg, Kiel, Berlin, Bremen, Oldenburg, and some smaller cities off the "to see" list. We ate way too much but laughed even more. Can't wait to visit England in April and make them host us!

(4) Jetted off to Spain 
Fulbright Fam in Barcelona.
I know I have no right to complain about the weather here, considering how much snow the U.S. has been getting (I think it snowed here like twice, barely), BUT in January I was so sick of cloudy, cold, wet, dark days. A trip to Spain was exactly what I needed. Alice and I flew on the first weekend of February with our Fulbright daughters Amanda and Valeria to Barcelona, where we soaked up the sun, ate paella with sangria, and found the perfect balance between exploration and relaxation. It was so rejuvenating, and I didn't want to come back.


Four changes:: 

(1) Finished a huge project
TTYL, Youtube! 
Anyone who really knows me or has known me in the past, well, 12 years has become familiar with my unique hobby of making homemade reality shows and putting them on Youtube. In fact, I discovered last week that one of my classes at school googled me and came across my videos,: "Paul, we have saw your Youtube Kanal. Wery good!" Anyway, I finished editing and posted the last episode of Survivor: All-Stars that had been consuming many hours of my life every week since August. I am going to miss a lot of the fun of these shows, but am already enjoying the free time I have now. I can, for example, update my blog. 

(2) Moved apartments
Auf Wiedersehen, pretty girl's room
Sadly, my subletting came to an end at the end of January, and I had give up my pink room. It was very sad to say goodbye to my roommates, but I was very happy to find a room in an apartment just five minutes away. I'll have to post a picture of my new room soon: it's very rustic, manly, and equipped with a big TV and a leather couch. Needless to say, I felt silly bringing in my flowery pillows I bought at IKEA for my old room...

(3) Found my groove at school
Not a student, but a teacher!
I'll admit that it was hard to go back to work after three weeks off at Christmas. Trying to readjust, I wasn't having fun. I was sick of the hour commute each way, and I wasn't excited about teaching. But in the last few weeks, I've really challenged myself to change my mindset. I'm staying on top of schoolwork, I'm teaching more than ever, and really unitizing my commute home on the train to prepare stuff for school. Oh, and I've made it routine to take a quick nap during my free periods on the leather couches in the back of the teacher's lounge. With working only three days a week combined with several weeks of break coming up, I have only 30 days of school left until I go home. Crazy!

(4) Saying hello and goodbye 
Hade, Thomas! I mean, Moikka! Wait, are you Norwegian or Finnish again? #confused 
I've been allowing myself more time for social engagements, which is always a good thing. Now that Franzi, the girl from whom I was subletting, is back from Scotland, we've made a weekly dinner commitment where we cook something along with my former roommate Cathi. This week, I invited them over to my new place, and my new roommate Kathrin also joined us. We may or may not have also watched episode two of Germany's Next Top Model by Heidi Klum...

On the other side of the coin, I have to say goodbye this week to my friends Jenny and Thomas, who are both moving (to Hamburg and New York City, respectively) for internships. My social life is about to tank without them here, but I'm hoping they'll come see us in Chicago in September. It was really nice to spend last weekend with them in Bremen.



Now, I'm also working on a top four list of goals I made for myself this year. I want to take a look back at them and see how I'm doing. I'll save that for next time, though... Hope I make it back to this blog before June! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment